- Bilbies are nocturnal which means they are active at night
- They have powerful forelimbs and strong claws for digging. Their vision is poor, but their sense of smell and hearing are acute.
- Bilbies live in the sand country; they prefer open country with a mixture of bare soil and grass clumps.They are so efficient in conserving water that they don't need to drink. They get enough moisture from their food: seeds, bulbs, fungi, spiders and insects, which they find by scratching and digging.
- Traditional patch burning by Aboriginal people helped the Bilby because it reduced the amount of shrub cover and stimulated the growth of its food supplies.
- The Bilby remains in its deep burrow during the day and comes out at night to feed.